January 20, 2015
Economic Self Sufficiency
- Raise the minimum wage– Support legislation bringing the minimum wage in line with the current economy.
- Close the gender pay gap – Promote legislation supporting equal pay policies and practices
- Increase support for quality, locally governed public education – Support legislation restoring recent funding cuts to public education in North Carolina; develop teacher salary schedules which reward professional development and longevity.
- Promote educational opportunities for girls and women – Support funding for Title IX and STEM programs
- Expand Medicaid – Support action to accept new federal Medicaid funds to expand insurance coverage to low-income North Carolinians.
Note: These priorities were proposed by the AAUW Public Policy Committee and endorsed by the AAUW NC Presidents on January 15, 2015. Members of the Public Policy Committee are: Diana Gray, Karla Atkinson, Mary Peterson and Denny McGuire